Tuesday 26 July 2016

Pumpkins a go-go

Soooooo we are at the end of July, the weather has been up and down and the weeds have been thriving as always!

Everything that seemed to do well last year seems to be struggling a little this year - potatoes, courgettes, gooseberries and raspberries haven't been as good, however on the flip side everything that didn't do that well last year is going great guns. The sweetcorn is looking strong, plenty of tomatoes, but this year the 'yay' award goes to the pumpkins which are doing so well. Last year I tried to grow squash and we got nothing but plant, this is my first year of growing pumpkins. I was advised to plant them around my sweetcorn as we have a badger that likes to come and nick your corn once it is ready - the pumpkin storks are quite spiky and can deter them (although they are welcome to take a couple). I am so impressed, we seem to have around ten growing (more want to but I'm going to trim the plant so the goodness goes into the ones we have already).

Old faithfuls which we seem to be able to rely on every year are the redcurrants, blackcurrants, rhubarb, runner and french beans, the strawberries do well but seem to get eaten before we can get to them. The freezer is getting quite full so I am due a big jamming session to make my Christmas presents, it's also the allotment open day at the end of the month so I need to make some jars for that.

We have also had some more newts spotted in our tiny wildlife section which is very exciting! Although no one has decided to move into the hedgehog house yet I have seen some possible hog poo, so I'm hoping they are checking out the area and will take a liking to it.

How is everything going on your plots?

Hope you are all well and happy digging!

Lots of love

Tracey xx

No comments:

Post a Comment