Friday 8 April 2016

Better late than never...


So this Winter was mild but very wet and Spring so far has been the same! 


I'm not totally behind, but with pain and am impending operation I cannot do as much as I would like at the allotment presently. To be fair the rain just keeps coming and that is making it hard to make a good start. 

Digging over has started the last couple of weeks, half of the plot we have covered with tarpaulin whilst we sort the other half out (makes me feel less anxious and able to work on it a bit at a time). 


A general tidy up was needed, lots of weeding and digging in of manure. Back at the end of Feb I cut all the raspberry canes to around 6 inches, I have trimmed the herbs back and we have started to dig the strawberry plants out (they would happily take over the whole plot left to their own devices!). 


I have sown two different types of potato at the beginning of the month, Aaron Pilot and Pink Fir, I just hope the rain since has not impaired their growth at all, we may have rotted before we have even got going! 

I have planted some garlic given to me by my green fingered friend, Lee (thank you Lee), into the Belfast sink, there is some spinach from last year that is just about holding on in there and I have started sowing sweetcorn in trays and tomato seeds and courgettes in pots back at the house. I was also gifted a beautiful cherry tree from my lovely friend Kat (thanks Kat), hopefully it will be very happy on our plot. 

The rhubarb crowns I planted last year seem to be doing very well. I have given them plenty of manure and they seem to be thriving, hopefully we may be able to eat some this year (we had to resist last year as you are meant to give them a year to settle in), I'm hoping Rhubarb and Ginger jam may be in the Christmas Hampers this year.

Fingers crossed for the sunshine this year, I love the rain, it cleans everything and helps stuff grow - but we could certainly do with a balance! 

How is everyone getting on so far? 


Lots of love and happy digging 

Trace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment